Each week, we break down international news into our four quadrants of risk and present ways to mitigate those risks.
See below for the key issues from this week’s edition:
– U.S. President Donald Trump instructed government officials to prepare for the U.S. withdrawal from its free trade agreement with South Korea.
– The Trump administration announced that it would the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) policy aimed at protecting immigrants brought illegally into the U.S. as children from deportation.
– Sources familiar with the current North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) renegotiation talks in Mexico City reported that the three countries’s negotiators have not been able to agree on most of the key issues.
– China is attempting to delay the progress of the Asia-Africa Growth Corridor (AAGC). Developed by India and Japan, the AAGC aims to create new sea corridors linking Asia-Pacific countries with Africa through infrastructure programs.
– China has agreed that the United Nations should take stringent actions against North Korea following its sixth nuclear test.
– Several oil firms that moved a portion of their U.S. fuel inventories from Texas and Louisiana to the Caribbean because of Hurricane Harvey have now frozen operations in the region due to Hurricane Irma, which could have an impact on the Latin American fuel supply.
– China announced that over 1.8 million Volkswagen cars are being recalled because of faulty fuel pumps.
– Two pilots at Scandinavian airline SAS went on strike on Monday after wage talks at the carrier’s Norwegian operations broke down, but the company said it hoped to resolve the situation before a planned escalation this week.
– Instagram, the photo and video-sharing app, announced that hackers were able to exploit a bug on both their verified and non-verified users’ accounts.
– Cyber-security researchers have identified that malicious actors are continuing to use malware embedded in attached PowerPoint presentations.
– There are no specific stories this week. However, as Hurricane Irma continues to impact the Southeastern United States, we encourage you to subscribe to the daily Pinkerton Insights Intelligence Brief to stay up to date. Click here to subscribe.Tweet Tags: DACA, NAFTA, THAAD, Trump